Thursday, January 26, 2012

Home from the Hospital

I came home from the hospital with many misconceptions about heart disease.  I was under the impression that I should really be concerned about sodium intake.  So, I started eating low sodium.  This was no easy feat.  Have you really every read labels??  I mean really read and understood them.  Turns out, I hadn't.  With my new instruction to keep my sodium under 1500 mg a day, this is what I started looking at.  It really, really sucked.  I felt like there was nothing I could buy.   Do you know even chicken and fish that you buy at the grocery store are injected with a salt solution?  So, I ate a lot of beef because it is not injected with salt.  I thought I was doing the right thing.

Turns out I was wrong.  One night, I am laying in bed and watching a special on CNN called "The Last Heart Attack."  There was a doctor on.  Caldwell Esselstyn from the Cleveland Clinic.  He is talking about the nastiness of meat and dairy. I am hoping it is not true because I love meat and dairy and what would I eat?  I have always thought vegetarian an vegan folks are a little flaky for eating like that. I had to get his book Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease: The Revolutionary, Scientifically Proven, Nutrition-Based Cure by Caldwell B. Esselstyn (Mass Market Paperback - Jan 31, 2008) . This book along with T.Colin Campbell's The China Study: The Most Comprehensive Study of Nutrition Ever Conducted And the Startling Implications for Diet, Weight Loss, And Long-term Health ,and the documentary Forks Over Knives, have driven my heart disease research.

What this reading has lead me to is a whole new lifestyle.  If I thought watching sodium really sucked, this sucked a whole lot more.  More on that tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment