Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Some struggles

So, I have had some struggles with this lifestyle change.

First and foremost are the people that believe it is their job to tell me that eating like this is going to kill me.  I really just want to punch those people--because obviously, the way I was eating before was good for me.  I got to spend three days in the accommodations offered by the ICU because of my pre heart attack habits.  I had my heart attack on October 13 and I didn't start this lifestyle until Jan 1.  That means I spent all the time in between researching the options I had to stay alive.  So I have done all this research and someone on a nutrition high horse steps up to say I'm not being healthy.  They haven't done any research, they just like eating meat and they don't want to hear it might be unhealthy. Even after all I have read and the research I have done, I would still eat meat if as a cardiac patient I didn't think it would lead me to another heart attack.  The fact is, what I eat from now on will play a large part in determining if I live.  Because of this, I choose to eat to live.  What that means for me is a whole grain, plant based diet.  I don't push it on anyone.  I think everyone should do the research and decide for themselves.  This is what irritates me about those on a nutrition high horse.  They ask, I tell and then they seem truly offended.  I never felt offended if someone told me they were vegan.  I thought it was weird, but I kept my opinion to myself--to each his own.    Now I am one of those people who is a vegan and, quite possibly a little weird!  Don't judge what is different than what you know--you never know what the motivation is--mine is to eat different from most so I don't have to take 5 pills a day.

My other big struggle has been coffee.  For years I have drank my coffee with powdered creamer and sweetener.  So when I started this, I used vegan sugar and flax milk.  It just was not the same taste.  I thought then that I would go with black coffee--I hated that.  So, I decided that if I can't drink coffee like I want, then I might as well not drink it.  On Sunday, I took the coffee pot off the counter.  I also do not like tea--to say that I hate the taste of tea would be an understatement.  I am now struggling not to sneak soda now and then.  I lost the struggle tonight and had a little diet orange soda.  Soda is my last struggle...tomorrow is another day and I shall try again.

No comments:

Post a Comment