Friday, February 24, 2012

My Kids Nutrition

So, as I embarked on this journey, I had particular struggles with what my family would eat.  My husband was raised on a cattle ranch in Kansas.  He will never give up meat.  I didn't think my kids would adjust very well to the change in food in the house.  I have been proved half wrong.

My husband is watching what he eats a little more, but he isn't ever going to subscribe to my new way of eating.  That is ok.  I won't push this on anyone.   I would love for him to consider it, but I understand that he won't.

My kids are coming around.  The day after Valentine's day, I bought some Valentine's  cookies that were on sale.  They are still up in the cabinet.  I also bought some soda that I don't like (since I am still struggling with not drinking it) and there are only a couple gone.  What I did run out of was fruit--grapes, blackberries, blueberries and strawberries.  I also ran out of bottled water.  I scraped together just enough to take to work today.  I can't be mad about it because I want them to eat natural with lots of fruit and veggies because I don't want them to have a heart attack like I did.  They are really making smart choices now that there are lots of smart choices in the house.  My little one was in the kitchen making her lunch to take to school today so that she can eat "natural".  She informed me that school lunch wasn't natural.  Oh, how right she is.  Have you seen what some of that food looks like?!


The veggie crumbles were a hit with another daughter.  She ate quite a bit of my veggie chili with the veggie crumbles and then asked if she could have more.  She also loves the sweet potato chips I made.  I have to rethink this weeks trip to the grocery store.  Many more fruits and such on tap for this week.  I won't need to buy any soda because we have plenty left.  All of this makes me happy.  If there is one thing I could go back and change it is that I would have started my kids eating much healthier right from the start.

I have started drinking coffee again in an attempt to stop drinking soda.  I need something to drink besides water and I hate tea.  So, just to help me with my attempt to quit drinking soda, the building I work in just installed soda machines that take debit cards.  Are you kidding me?? Now even if I am out of change, I can still get a soda.  I know it is horrible for me.  It is my last vice.  I am having bad trouble kicking it.  On the upside, I have been getting up at 5 am to get on the treadmill.  This is quite a feat as I loathe exercising.  It makes me feel good though, so I might end up hooked!

No comments:

Post a Comment